Wednesday, February 19, 2014

What is Singing Time?

I believe deep down in my soul that 'a child who sings is a happy child' (Elder Falabella, April 2013 General Conference). We are constantly singing in our house, from sun up to sun down. Over the years I have collected many fun singing props and instruments that I love to use with my children. I have found it's easiest for me to remember to do this if I have a designated Singing Time.

The twins always know it's singing time when our singing time blanket and our welcome song begins (Here We Are Together with some fun puppets). They usually rush over and plop themselves on the blanket, ready to sing. When they were really little, it was more of them listening to me sing. As they have gotten older, they are beginning to sing more of the songs with me. They really like it when I pause and have them fill in the last word of the phrase, they think it is great fun.

So how does it work? I could come up with all kinds of complex singing time plans, but I don't. I just fill a bin with props for five or six songs and the twins take turns picking out a prop. We then sing the song and the other toddler gets the chance to pick the next song. That's it, nothing complex goes on in this house. :) At the end of each singing time - either when the bin is empty or the twins are getting restless - I pull out the instruments and the picture of Pres. Monson and we start banging around on our instruments while singing the chorus to Follow the Prophet. After we sing a few songs with the instruments we usually end with I Am A Child of God on the jingle bells. Like I said, nothing complex here.

No comments:

Post a Comment